Peter Loso was one of the first settlers to arrive to the St. Joseph area and founded the German settlement deal in August, 1854. He stated section 9-10 which the Village of Saint Joseph was platted. Numerous others soon followed and the Township was planned in 1858 covering 81 square kilometers. Formerly called Clinton, St. Joseph obtained its current name in 1870. Many settlers emerged for the land, using its fertile soils, and the opportunities America provided.
The settlers built many businesses and homes and eventually the Town was contained in 1890. As the township grew, so do the needs of its people, and the concerns of the lawmakers. As part of their plan in the 1890's, they decided to construct a jail, install a community well, build and repair real wood sidewalks, and established liquor licenses at $500 each. Fires were also problems and around 1885 the Hook and Ladder Co. No. 1 was organized, which is currently the St. Joseph Fireplace Dept.
By the early 1900's St. Joseph was flourishing with around 600 residents. Farming was starting to support the families after multiple years of hardship due to the severe winters and the grasshopper plague of 1856. The milking machine became available in 1905 reducing enough time to milk cows so additional time could be allocated to crops and pet animal care. Immediately after, World Warfare 1 required many farmers to leave their homes check here to struggle.
After the warfare ended individuals were more info in a position to get their lives back again on track, at least for a while, before the currency markets crash in 1929. Also, at the moment, prohibition was in effect so many of the farmers considered making moonshine, which slightly reduced the hardships of the marketplace crash. Along with the depression effecting everyone in town, the community needed to adhere together more than ever. Through a national give, the Council was able to hire the jobless to help clean and keep maintaining the Village.
On Dec get more info 7, 1941 the Japanese bombed Pearl Harbor which officially came into the US into World Conflict 2. Rationing tokens were given out because so many items were an issue. At that time St. Joseph possessed a people of around 1050, burning off 10 heroic soldiers to the warfare. The community remained strong and extended to enhance the Community, adding a drinking water tower in 1949, plus a new Town well. In 1959, St. Joseph began fluoridating its drinking water supply, and proceeds to take action.